Friday, February 4, 2011

Lackadaisical iridescent leprechauns! These words are hard!


Athena is taking part in the Gilham spelling bee.


Luckily they didn't make her pronounce them.  She just had to spell them.

For the first five weeks the words were written.  Next week they switch to the oral spelling bee style.  They will be retested on the above words.

Hopefully they won't need to move onto the fifty tie breaker words.  They are scary-looking things such as:

unbeknownst
indigenous
harangue
dulcimer
juxtaposition
ochre
kinesthetic
bazaar (wouldn't be so bad except "bizarre" is also on the list!)
succinct

diagrammatical
fortuitous


Maybe dad can help her prepare for the tie breakers.  I am not sure how to pronounce some of them.  Even my spell check doesn't know some of them!


At least Athena and I both survived our tests this week.  Relaxing with ice cream tonight and this weekend back to studies!

Can you tell:  is this picture a mirror image?
Or is this one?

5 comments:

  1. This 5th grader is definitely smarter than me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, impressive! Must feel like quite the accomplishment getting some of those right. How many star soccer players can also find the time for spelling bees!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures of mom and daughter. You go, Athena!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are seven people left in my class that are in it. To still be in it, each week they give you 10 of the week's words, then you have to get 8 of 10 right to move on... I think that this will be the hardest to pass on. I hope I pass!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you could be a tutor some day Athena!

    ReplyDelete